Corned Beef with Blackberry Mustard Glaze
To make the corned beef:
- Use a sharp knife to carefully trim off the excess fat on the corned beef.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or thick-bottomed stock pot over medium-high heat. Place corned beef in the pot, and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned. Add the next six ingredients (onion through peppercorns), then fill pot with water until the beef is completely covered. Bring water to a boil. Then either reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-4 hours, until meat is fork-tender. Or transfer to a 300-degree oven, and cook for 4-5 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. If you would like to make cooked carrots as well, add them to the pot about an hour before the beef is finished cooking.
- Remove the beef and carrots, and set the carrots aside. Place the beef on an aluminum-foil covered baking sheet. Brush with glaze, then place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes, until the glaze begins to caramelize.
- Remove from oven, and let the corned beef sit for at least 10-15 minutes before carving. Brush with additional glaze if desired. Serve with roasted cabbage, herbed potatoes and carrots if desired. (See tip below for making herbed potatoes.)
To make the glaze:
- In a small saucepan, whisk the glaze ingredients together until combined, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil until the mixture has slightly reduced and thickened, about 7-10 minutes.